50th Anniversary Celebration
50th Anniversary of American Studies
Mark your calendars for April 11-12, 2019, as the department, alumni, and friends will come together at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to celebrate 50 years of conversation and community.
We’ll also celebrate:
- 80th Anniversary of Folklore
- 40th Anniversary of Southern Studies
- 20th Anniversary of American Indian Studies
Join us for two days of camaraderie and celebration featuring:
- Musical performances and discussion
- North Carolina food
- The Maness Lecture
- Flash talks about American Studies today and into the future
- Cocktails and book/album signings
- Library and museum behind-the-scenes tours
- American Studies Oral History Booth
- Performance by Lonnie Holley, Souls Grown Deep artist and Caldwell Family Artist-in-Residence
In addition to great leadership from faculty, students, and staff, the successes of the first fifty years of American Studies and the accomplishments of the decades to come would not be possible without the generosity of our Carolina family. In recognition of this historic anniversary and the department’s past leaders, Tar Heel alumnae Molly Monk Mears ’84 and Aurelia Stafford Monk ’85 are challenging their fellow alumni and friends to make a gift to support American Studies in honor of the department’s founding chairs. These funds will be used to support the department’s most immediate and strategic needs.
All gifts made to the department starting today will be matched up to $50,000. As we look forward to celebrating all that American Studies is and has accomplished in its first fifty years, we hope that you will consider joining us. By making your gift today, you can double your impact and help us reach new heights in the next fifty!
Help us plan our 50th Anniversary Celebrations!
The planning committee needs your input on session topics for the anniversary weekend.
Take our short Google Survey and provide your input today.